What Is SAM Registration and Why Is It Important?
Registering for the System for Acquisition Management (SAM) is the first step to becoming a contractor for the U.S. government. It establishes your firm as a reputable supplier of products and/or services. Once you’re SAM registered, you can start to do business with Uncle Sam. Request a free consultation with Rafael Marrero to learn more about this process. #federalcontracting #b2g #rafaelmarrero #sam #samregistration
One of the first steps to becoming a federal contractor is to register in the System for Acquisition Management (SAM). Find out how you can become a business-to-government contractor and work with the U.S. government, the world’s most powerful client.
System for Acquisition Management (SAM)
The System for Acquisition Management is the registration portal required for any contractor wishing to do business with the federal government. Before you market your products and services or apply for grants, you must register and receive a Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) Code and Unique Entity ID at sam.gov.
SAM Registration Steps
While the process is relatively straightforward, it can be difficult to ensure the forms are filled out accurately and promptly. Missing a single piece of information can delay your application and slow your business growth. Stay on track with your financial projections and project goals by following these registration steps:
- Create a user account at sam.gov
- Select the appropriate account type
- Gather relevant information for your business, including but not limited to:
- Business legal name and contact information
- Start date of your business
- Dun & Bradstreet D-U-N-S Number
- Tax Identification Number (TIN) or Employee Identification Number (EIN)
- Any applicable small business certification
- North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) Codes
- Complete the registration process and receive a confirmation email
- Use the validation link to input your activation code within 48 hours
Once registered, you will need to renew your registration every 12 months. Don’t let the renewal process prevent you from completing contracts or focusing on what your business does best.
Why You Need to Be Registered
SAM registration is a key step in the process of doing business with the federal government. If you’re pursuing contracts with any agency of the U.S. government or any military branch, then review these reasons to be registered on this important system. Contracting officers and agency personnel are unable to accept your bids or review your capabilities if you are not registered as supplier in SAM.
Win Federal Contracts
You must be registered in order to bid on any federal contracts. A SAM-registered business is ready to connect with procurement decision-makers, such as contracting officers. Build your reputation and your firm by becoming a trustworthy supplier for Uncle Sam.
Become Certified With the Small Business Administration
Registration is not only the first step to being listed as a U.S. government supplier. It’s also necessary for small business certifications and loans from the Small Business Administration (SBA). Here are some of the SBA certifications and loans you may qualify for as a federal contractor:
- SBA 8(a) certification
- SBA HUBZone certification (Historically Underutilized Business Zone)
- VOSB or SDVOSB certification (Veteran-Owned Small Business or Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business)
- WOSB or EDWOSB certification (Women-Owned Small Business or Economically-Disadvantaged Women-Owned Small Business)
- DOT DBE certification (Department of Transportation Disadvantaged Business Enterprise)
- SBA 7(a) loan
- SBA 504 loan
These small business programs position your firm to take advantage of set-asides and other unique contracting opportunities with the federal government. If you’re struggling to win contracts or just starting a business-to-government firm, SAM registration is a critical early step in the process.
Navigate the Registration Process With Rafael Marrero & Company
Learn more about the System for Acquisition Management (SAM) registration process with Rafael Marrero & Company. Contact us to schedule a free consultation with your nationally recognized management consultancy based in Miami, FL.